In the past few years, superheroes have moved beyond the silver screen and into television, and one of the best of these shows is CW’s Supergirl. At the outset, the titular hero, (Melissa Benoist), one of the few remaining Kryptonians and cousin to Superman, is sent in a spacecraft to Earth to help protect her more famous relative before being thrown off trajectory into the notorious Phantom Zone. Eventually, Kara Zor-El (her Kryptonian given name) escapes and arrives at her intended destination, and it’s not long before she dons the cape and “Supergirl” moniker, defending her adopted home, National City, from criminals and evil-doers.
Because it doesn’t take itself too seriously –more than anything– Supergirl is a lot of fun to watch. In a genre dominated by muscle-bound masculinity, a show starring a heroine, and featuring many women supporting characters and villains is refreshing. A great aspect of the show for comics fans is the many appearances by relatives of well-known Superman characters, such as the mother and stepdaughter of Lex Luthor (Lillian and Lena, respectively), as well as the prominence of underappreciated DC heroes like Martian Manhunter. Supergirl is part of the Arrowverse television universe, so crossovers with the Flash, Green Arrow, and other characters that have their own shows happen often and add depth to the show’s universe.
While there’s been a barrage of superheroes in media, recently, Supergirl stands out from the rest and it’s definitely worth streaming if you’re at all a fan of the genre.
Where to stream Supergirl
Supergirl is available to stream on two main sources: The CW Network’s website, with ads, or on Netflix, ad-free. Streaming the show on The CW Network’s site is free, and doesn’t require you to put in TV provider information, as many networks’ websites do, but you’ll have to contend with annoying interruptions.
Streaming Supergirl on Netflix is ad-free and presented in glorious HD. The service costs $11 a month (with an expected price hike to $13 a month coming) for the most popular plan that allows for two different devices streaming simultaneously, although prices vary outside the US.
Which option you choose to stream Supergirl will depend upon whether you’re willing to foot the bill for Netflix, although considering the wealth of content available through the top streaming service, worldwide, that is the one we recommend. However, depending on where you live in the world, both options may pose some issues.
Why use a VPN to watch Supergirl
If you live outside the United States, streaming Supergirl could get a little difficult. Watching Supergirl on The CW Network website is only available to those inside the US, and nowhere else, and since the Netflix library varies from country to country, many local libraries do not have the show available.
Regardless of whether you wish to stream Supergirl on The CW Network, or watch it on Netflix but have found that it isn’t carried in your nation’s library, subscribing to a VPN will solve the problem.
A VPN (virtual private network) works by routing your internet connection through servers around the world, granting you a local IP address in the country in which the server is located, and allowing you to bypass annoying geoblocking.
This means that by subscribing to an excellent VPN like ExpressVPN, you can use their client to connect to a server in the United States, and
- The restriction on viewing Supergirl on the CW network will be lifted.
- You will be granted access to the US Netflix library, no matter where you are logging in from.
VPNs also offer a lot of online protection by encrypting your data and rendering your connection anonymous, shielding you from nosy ISPs and internet bad actors like hackers and identity thieves.
How to stream Supergirl from anywhere using a VPN
- Subscribe to a solid VPN with many U.S. servers (ExpressVPN is our top choice)
- Download and install the VPN client on your preferred device(s) and computer.
- Connect to a U.S. server on your computer, or whichever device you intend to stream Supergirl on.
- Subscribe to and install Netflix, if that’s where you intend to stream Supergirl (if you have yet to).
- Double-check that you are still connected to a US server via the VPN client on your chosen streaming device and either
- Surf to the CW website to watch Supergirl .
- Choose it from the now-unlocked US Netflix library.
- VPNs have a high range of compatibility and typically offer clients for iOS and Android phones/tablets, digital streaming devices, video game consoles, and certain types of TVs like LG and Samsung models. Check each individual VPN’s list of supported devices in order to determine whether they support the devices you use the most.
- Considering as it’s the top streaming service, Netflix is compatible with just about everything, including Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, iPhone, Ipad, Mac and PC Browsers, Blu-Ray players, Nintendo Switch, Playstation 3 & 4, Xbox 360 & One, and select models of LG and Samsung TVs. Check the full list here.
Best VPNs for watching Supergirl
Our top pick!
- Always evades internet control in the PRC
- Keeps ahead of the Netflix VPN detection algorithm
- Benchmark tests show excellent speed
- More US city locations than its rivals
- Includes malware protection
- No-logs policy
- Precise locations
- Very large VPN server network
- Offers a 45-day money-back guarantee
- Over 200 servers in 80+ countries
- Sleek, easy to use UI
- Customer support via email, Skype, and ticketing
- Excellent client with pre-configured modes for streaming, P2P, privacy
- Kill switch
- Support for wide range of protocols, including OpenVPN