The Dakar Rally seems to be in non-stop motion since its inception in 1978. The 44th edition this 2022 was held in Saudi Arabia and was organized by Amaury Sport Organisation.
Where to live stream the Dakar Rally online
If you want to get the most out of the Dakar Rally 2022, however, here is the list of paid and free streaming services broadcasting it online:
If you are after a free live stream, shoot for the Australian or French live streams via SBS and France TV.
Why use a VPN to stream the Dakar Rally
If you are an avid Dakar fan, you probably have either a Eurosport or an NBC Sports/Sling TV subscription. While these streaming services are formidable in every way, they cut you out the moment you step onto foreign soil. So much for binge-watching your favorite sports leagues on vacation.
Unfortunately, each broadcaster is limited by its license. Eurosport is only licensed to stream the Dakar Rally in Europe, while NBC and Sling TV are available in the US.
It means thousands of expats, vacationers, digital nomads, and business people traveling abroad can’t enjoy the spectacle even though they have a valid subscription. Not helping is the inevitably short lifespan of each rally – barely two weeks.
So, what do you do if you happen to be outside the US during those two weeks? Consider buying yourself a decent VPN.
A Virtual Private Network allows you to emulate your location in the country of your choice by routing your traffic through its server hosted in that country. When you need to appear as if coming from the US – connect to a US-based VPN server. It assigns you a US IP address, and your streaming service identifies you as a regular American user accessing its repositories from the national territory.
Likewise, connect to an Australian VPN server to spoof into Australia, or to one of the European servers to unlock Eurosport.
Since a VPN encrypts your traffic, it improves your privacy and security by a mile:
- Your Internet Service Provider can not monitor your online activity
- Your ISP can not throttle your bandwidth when you stream or play online games
- Your TV shows and sports streaming providers don’t geo-block you
- You can bypass your school or office firewalls
- Your data is protected from the Man-in-the-Middle and honeypot attacks on public WiFi networks
- You can easily circumvent any regional blackout when streaming sports (this may not apply to the
- Dakar Rally streams, but an awful lot of national leagues have their blackout schedules)
How to stream the Dakar Rally with a VPN
- Pick a VPN provider and subscribe (see my VPN suggestions below).
- Download and install the VPN program on your device or set up your router to tunnel all your home traffic through the VPN (most providers offer step-by-step setup guides for all supported platforms).
- Find the list of servers and connect to a streaming-optimized server in the country of your choice (the US for NBC or Sling TV, Australia for SBS, one of the EU-based servers such as UK or Switzerland for Eurosport).
- Clear your browser’s cache to be on the safe side (it might leak your actual location).
- Open a new instance of your browser and go to your sports streaming site.
- That’s it. You are all set to live stream the Dakar Rally – no matter where you are.
When vetting VPN providers, pay close attention to their server coverage, as well as their logging policies, and data sharing/DMCA notice practices. For a detailed breakdown of all the features you might want to scrutinize before subscribing to a VPN, please read my brief guide on VPN for Beginners.
Best VPNs for streaming Dakar Rally
Note: privacy and security should never come as an afterthought when you choose a VPN. Running a network of servers and providing robust protection is expensive, so a decent VPN cannot be free by definition. A reliable VPN can be available for free during a time-limited free trial or in a significantly limited free plan with a stringent data cap and a handful of servers with reduced speeds.
What you may not know is the majority of VPNs that rely on a freemium monetization model actually monetize your data. They log your activity and sell your information to data brokers. Understandably, they may share that data with authorities. But the worst part is they leak your real location and identity because they deploy weak or no encryption, and provide poor speeds. So choose wisely.
- More US city locations than its rivals
- Includes malware protection
- No-logs policy
- No limit on the number of devices you can connect at the same time
- SOCKS5 proxy, which its main rivals don’t have
- More VPN servers in more US cities to dodge blackouts
- Excellent client with pre-configured modes for streaming, P2P, privacy
- Kill switch
- Support for wide range of protocols, including OpenVPN
- Precise locations
- Very large VPN server network
- Offers a 45-day money-back guarantee
- User-friendly TorGuard app
- Plans that include a dedicated IP
- Gift card payment options