How to Watch Harry Potter Movies Online with a VPN
JK Rowling’s series of Harry Potter novels are aimed at young people, but the magical exploits of the wizard schoolboy have captured an audience of all ages. The movies made out of these stories are some of the highest grossing in history.
In total there are eight Harry Potter movies. These are:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (2010)
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 (2011)
The last of these, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2, grossed more than $1 billion and is the 12th highest-grossing movie of all time. The complete cycle of Harry Potter movies grosses a total of $7.7 billion.
Watch Harry Potter online
Harry Potter is a sought-after character all over the world. The standard marketing system for movies sees the broadcast rights being auctioned off on a country-by-country basis. Beyond the premier licenses, film production companies also sell off the second-tier rights to broadcast their content. These later, non-exclusive rights can be duplicated in each territory and that means that a popular movie franchise, such as Harry Potter ends up being available in a lot of places. However, despite the fact that the newest Harry Potter movie is now nine years old, access to the franchise is still tightly controlled.
In the USA, the television broadcast rights for all Harry Potter movies are held by NBCUniversal. The company makes the Harry Potter films available on its USA Network and Syfy channels, which both have online video libraries.
You will see information around the web that Harry Potter is shown on HBO but this is old news and the NBC deal forced HBO to remove Harry Potter from its library.
Amazon Prime doesn’t include Harry Potter in its subscription service. However, you can purchase the movies on DVD from Amazon and watch them online through Amazon as a streaming video rental. Similarly, the movies are available to rent or buy and then stream online through iTunes, Google Play, and Vudu.
Where else to watch Harry Potter
In the UK, the Harry Potter movies have been broadcast by ITV. However, they are not available for online streaming through either the ITV Hub or Britbox. All Harry Potter movies are now available on Sky in the UK. This means that you can watch all of the Harry Potter films if you subscribe to the Sky Cinema package either through cable or satellite. Such a package would be channeled to your home TV, but it also gives you free access to all the content you qualify to watch at home via Sky Go online.
Now TV is the equivalent of Sky Go, but without having to have a home TV package with Sky. It has all of the Harry Potter movies available until the end of February 2021. Now TV is a subscription service and has a range of packages. You need to get the Now TV Sky Cinema plan in order to access Harry Potter movies online through this system.
Some websites will tell you that the Harry Potter films are available for Netflix in Spain, France, Belgium, Australia, and New Zealand. However, I have accessed the Netflix library for all of those countries and I can attest that this is no longer the case.
Netflix Canada does have the last four Harry Potter movies: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2.
How to stream Harry Potter movies from Netflix with a VPN
Netflix knows where each customer is physically located in the world because all requests arriving at the system’s server have a return address on them. Internet addresses are called IP addresses and they can be tied to a location. This is how Netflix can present a different site while using the same web address, Netflix.com, all over the world.
If you are in the USA, Netflix will see that and give you the Netflix USA library, which doesn’t include any Harry Potter movies. If you travel to Canada and access Netflix, you will get the Netflix library for Canada instead.
You shouldn’t have to travel to Canada just to watch Harry Potter. However, a service, called a VPN, can make it seem as though you have moved. A VPN is a type of proxy. It stands between your device and the web servers that your browser needs to access to get web pages. It presents the requests on behalf of the browser, giving its own IP address as the origin. Thus, if you choose a VPN server in Canada before connecting to Netflix, you will appear to be in Canada and get the Canadian video library, no matter where you really are.
If you want to watch Harry Potter movies in Netflix, go for Netflix Canada. Here’s how.
- Subscribe to a VPN provider with US servers (such as ExpressVPN)
- Download and install the VPN app onto your devices
- Connect to a server in Canada
- Open Netflix in your browser or through the Netflix app
- Click on the spyglass icon and search for Harry Potter
- Click on a movie and watch the video
VPNs for Harry Potter
There are many VPNs available in the world and most of them are no use. Netflix is particularly strict about the use of VPNs. Its access systems scan for VPN activity and block their requests. The majority of VPNs in the world can’t get into Netflix. In fact, most of them state on their websites that no VPN can get into Netflix. This is not true. There are a few and we know where they are. This is why we put together a list of the best VPNs to watch Harry Potter movies online. These will all get you into Netflix Canada.
Our recommended VPNs for Harry Potter
- More than 3000 servers in 94 countries
- Gets into HBO Go, Sky Go, Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video
- No data limits
- Gets past VPN detection systems
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- An allowance of three simultaneous connections
- Good speeds for video streaming
- $8.32 a month with the one-year subscription plan
- More than 1040 located in 61 countries
- Gets past regional restrictions on streaming services
- No data caps
- Ad and malware blockers for included for free
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No limit to simultaneous connections
- Fast speeds
- Only $1.77 per month plus 3 extra months free on the two-year plan.
- More than 5600 servers in 58 countries
- Six simultaneous connections per account
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, Sky Go, HBO Go, ITV, and ABC
- No bandwidth or download restrictions
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7 customer support
- SmartPlay feature improves video transfer speed
- Only $2.99 a month with the purchase of a 3-year plan
- More than 5600 servers in 90 countries
- An allowance of seven simultaneous connections
- No data throughput limit
- Dodges detection at HBO Now, Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+
- Evades national internet censorship
- 45-day money-back guarantee on annual plans
- Good speeds for streaming
- $2.75 per month with the 3-year subscription plan
- More than 1300 servers located in 53 countries
- Allowance of 10 simultaneous connections
- Strong security measures
- No data throughput limits
- Evades detection at all major streaming services
- 7-day money-back guarantee
- Very fast speeds
- Priced at $6.49 per month on the one-year plan.