How to Watch Outlander from Anywhere with a VPN
Outlander is a historical drama with a clever sci-fi twist. Based on Diana Gabaldon’s series of novels, Outlander tells the tale of World War 2 nurse Claire Randall (played by Caitriona Balfe) who while on holiday with her husband after the war’s end gets channeled back in time to 1743 Scotland. There, she falls in Highland warriors led by Jamie Fraser (Sam Heughan) and gets involved in their rebellion against the English crown. Ensuing seasons of Outlander move the action to France, England, and the United States while going forward, and then back again in time through a series of rousing adventures.
Since it was was recently renewed for a fifth and sixth season on the Starz network, now’s a great time to jump into the first four seasons of Outlander. The show has everything you could want in a historical time travel drama: cavalry battles, love triangles, political wheeling-and-dealing, paradoxes, and more. Fans of either science fiction or historical epics owe it to themselves to give the show a try. That begs the questions: where can the show be streamed?
Where to Stream Outlander
Outlander airs on the Starz Network, the number three premium cable network behind HBO and Showtime, so while there are multiple options for streaming the show, they all involve subscribing to Starz in one form or another. Outlander is available to stream through Amazon Prime Video and Hulu through premium add-on packages. They both cost 8.99 a month, although Amazon offers the first three months of Starz for just $5.39 a month.
These choices are fine for folks who are already subscribing to Amazon Prime Video or Hulu, but if you don’t have either streaming service, are mainly interested in Outlander, and cost is a concern, then the best option is just to subscribe to Starz directly and watch the show through the Starz app. A subscription to Starz begins with a 7-day free trial and costs $5 a month for the first three months before reverting to $8.99 a month just like the premium add-on packages for the aforementioned streaming services.
To sum up: If you already subscribe to Amazon Prime Video or Hulu, adding the Starz premium add-on for either of those two is your best option, while if you don’t have either and just want to watch Outlander, you should subscribe to Starz direct. One thing that all of these services have in common is that they are available in the United States, only.
Why Use a VPN to Watch Outlander
While it may seem like they are a lot of choices available to stream Outlander, they all require you to physically reside in the United States. “Outlanders” can easily work around this, however, by employing the services of a VPN (virtual private network).
A VPN allows you to bypass regional restrictions by routing your internet connection through servers around the world, thereby granting you local IP addresses in other countries. In order to watch Outlander through Amazon, Hulu or Starz, you simply need to connect through a US server of an excellent VPN like ExpressVPN, and it will appear to outside observers as if you are actually within the United States. You’ll be good to go!
VPNs also protect your internet connection from hackers, ISPs and other snoops through state-of-the-art data encryption and other security features. All in all, a worthy investment with a favorable cost-benefit ratio.
How to Stream Outlander from Anywhere
- Subscribe to a VPN with many US server locations and an app that is compatible with your devices. .
- Download and install the VPN client (app) on your laptop, phone, tablet, digital media player, or other supported device.
- Connect to a server within the United States through your VPN client.
- From here you have three choices for streaming Outlander: Either go to the Hulu or Amazon Prime Video site and buy a subscription and the Starz premium add-on, or buy a subscription to Starz direct.
- Install the Hulu, Amazon Prime Video or Starz app on the device you plan to watch Outlander on.
- After connecting to a US server on your VPN client, enter your preferred streaming service and enjoy four full seasons of Outlander.
- VPN apps have a high range of compatibility: iOS, Android, leading digital streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire, web browsers, video game consoles, as well as certain TV makes, including LG TV and Samsung.
- The Hulu app is available for Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire tablets, Fire TV, IPhone, Ipad, Chrome, Firefox, Nintendo Switch, Playstation 3 & 4, Xbox 360 & One, Roku and certain models of LG Samsung TVs. Go here for the extensive list.
- Amazon Prime Video works on most digital media players, phones, tablets, consoles and and smart TVs, too. Click here to find out how to link your device(s).
- The Starz app works on digital media players like Roku, video game consoles like Xbox, Android and iOS.
The Top Five VPNs for Watching Outlander
- 2000 servers in nearly 150 worldwide locations, with 20 U.S. server locations perfect for streaming Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, or Starz
- 256-bit data encryption
- Intuitive app with one-click connection
- No connection logs
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Frequent updates to maintain Netflix and Hulu compatibility
- 24-7 live chat customer support
- The top VPN for use in China
- Plans starting at $8.32 a month with a year-long subscription
- Over 5000 servers across 60+ countries. Nearly 2000 servers in locations around the United States
- Six simultaneous device logins
- No activity logs
- 24/7 customer service
- Automatic kill switch and end-to-end encryption
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Plans starting at $2.99
- 700 servers in 70+ locations, 8 locations in the U.S.
- 24/7 customer support with live chat
- No download capping, bandwidth limitations, or server restrictions
- Perfect for streaming HD
- Five simultaneous subscriptions with premium plan
- Plans beginning at $3.75 a month
4. Ivacy VPN
- 1000+ Servers in 100+ countries, worldwide, with 15 servers in the US.
- High-end 256-bit data encryption
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Advanced IPsec & IKEV protocols
- One subscription allows for 5 simultaneous connections
- Automatic internet kill switch
- Option to pay with Paypal, Alipay, Bitcoin and other alternative payment methods
- Just $2.25 a month with two-year commitment
- 3000+ servers worldwide, with 541 in the United States
- 7 simultaneous connections, higher than most VPNs allow
- Great, streamlined app with one-click connection
- High-end 256-bit AES data encryption
- No bandwidth restrictions
- Automatic kill switch feature
- DNS and IP leak protection
- Plans start at $3.50 a month with an 18-month commitment