Nothing hits the spot like an epic, gorey swords-and-shields saga, and few are more brutal and authentic-feeling than The History Channel’s Vikings. Vikings centers on the rise of young Ragnar Lothbrok from farmer and family man to the chieftain of his tribe through successful raids on England and by challenging the tactics and authority of the reigning leadership.
Based on the nordic sagas of the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok, Vikings looks and feels as true-to-life as any historical drama on air in its depiction of medieval combat as well as in the more peaceful pastoral life of the Norsemen in between the raids. Five seasons in, Vikings has had its share of power struggles and unexpected plot twists and turns but has remained engaging throughout its run. Definitely a must-watch for fans of bloody historical epics and gripping television drama, in general.
Where to stream Vikings
So which streaming services have Vikings in their library? You have two choices: all four seasons and the first half of the fifth season of the epic drama are available on both Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. Prime and Hulu are each good choices, with their share of original programming, films, and series that aired on other networks in their library. If you only have a room for one of the two in your life, it depends on what you’re looking for: Amazon probably has the edge in terms of original programming, while Hulu has a broader library of titles to choose from, overall.
Whichever service you choose, both will satisfy your desire to binge-watch Vikings in all of its nordic, sword-slashing goodness, but there’s one problem that will affect many: neither Amazon Prime Video nor Hulu is available outside of the United States.
Why use a VPN to watch Vikings
Pesky regional restrictions can ruin anyone’s viewing party, but there’s one key tool that will allow hopeful viewers of Vikings to overcome this obstacle. A VPN (virtual private network) routes your internet connection through servers around the world, hence making it seem to services like Hulu or Amazon Prime as if you actually logging on from within that country. For example, a subscription to a top-of-the-line VPN like ExpressVPN will allow you to watch Vikings on either service by connecting to one of their servers located in 20 United States locations.
VPNs also make your internet use much more secure, both on your computer and phone, by using data encryption to mask your browsing and file transfers from hackers and other bad actors. Most VPNs also come equipped with an automatic kill switch, which is a fail-safe that cuts your internet connection if the VPN happens to drop out. All in all, the benefits of a VPN make it a worthwhile purchase for both people outside the US hoping to stream Vikings, and internet users, in general.
How to purchase Hulu without a U.S. credit card
If you decide that Hulu is the right streaming service for you, there’s one more obstacle to overcome in the subscription process: it only takes U.S. credit and debit cards as forms of payment.
Live outside the US and don’t have one? Never fear, there’s an easy workaround: you can buy a $25 or $50 Hulu gift card from the Walmart website, and afterward, they email you a code that uses as a payment option while subscribing to Hulu. A $50 gift card will cover six months of Hulu use, and don’t forget the 30-day free trial that covers your first month.
How to stream Vikings from outside the US with a VPN
- Subscribe to a well-regarded VPN with plenty of servers in the US and an app that’s compatible with the devices you use to stream media.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device(s).
- Use your VPN app to connect to a server inside the United States.
- Go to the Hulu or Amazon Prime Video site and buy a subscription. If you go with Hulu, don’t forget to snag a gift card from Walmart.
- Install the Hulu or Amazon Prime Video app on the devices you use to stream video.
- Make sure that your VPN is connected to a US server, log on to Hulu or Amazon Prime and choose Vikings from the library of titles.
- While originally for use with computers only, VPNs are now compatible with just about everything: iOS, Android, leading digital streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire, web browsers, video game consoles, as well as certain TV makes, including LG TV and Samsung.
- The Hulu app is available for Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire tablets, Fire TV, iPhone, Ipad, Chrome, Firefox, Nintendo Switch, Playstation 3 & 4, Xbox 360 & One, Roku, and certain models of LG Samsung TVs. Go here for the full list.
- Amazon Prime Video is available on a lot of digital media players, phones, tablets, consoles, and smart TVs, too. Click here to find out how to link your device(s).
Best VPNs for watching Vikings
Our top pick!
- Always evades internet control in the PRC
- Keeps ahead of the Netflix VPN detection algorithm
- Benchmark tests show excellent speed
- Over 200 servers in 80+ countries
- Sleek, easy to use UI
- Customer support via email, Skype, and ticketing
- Precise locations
- Very large VPN server network
- Offers a 45-day money-back guarantee
- Excellent client with pre-configured modes for streaming, P2P, privacy
- Kill switch
- Support for wide range of protocols, including OpenVPN
- More US city locations than its rivals
- Includes malware protection
- No-logs policy