How to Watch Vikings from Outside the US with a VPN
Top 3 VPNs
Nothing hits the spot like an epic, gorey swords-and-shields saga, and few are more brutal and authentic-feeling than The History Channel’s Vikings. Vikings centers on the rise of young Ragnar Lothbrok from farmer and family man to chieftain of his tribe through successful raids on England and by challenging the tactics and authority of the reigning leadership.
Based on the nordic sagas of the legendary Ragnar Lothbrok, Vikings looks and feels as true-to-life as any historical drama on air in its depiction of medieval combat as well as in the more peaceful pastoral life of the norsemen in between the raids. Five seasons in, Vikings has had its share of power struggles and unexpected plot twists and turns, but has remain engaging throughout its run. Definitely a must-watch for fans of bloody historical epics and gripping television drama, in general.
Where to Stream Vikings
So which streaming services have Vikings in their library? You have two choices: all four seasons and the first half of the fifth season of the epic drama are available on both Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. Prime and Hulu are each good choices, with their share of original programming, films and series that aired on other networks in their library. If you only have room of one of the two in your life, it depends on what you’re looking for: Amazon probably has the edge in terms of original programming, while Hulu has a broader library of titles to choose from, overall.
Whichever service you choose, both will satisfy your desire to binge watch Vikings in all of its nordic, sword-slashing goodness, but that there’s one problem that will affect many: neither Amazon Prime Video, nor Hulu are available outside of the United States.
Why Use a VPN to Watch Vikings
Pesky regional restrictions can ruin anyone’s viewing party, but there’s one key tool that will allow hopeful viewers of Vikings to overcome this obstacle. A VPN (virtual private network) routes your internet connection through servers around the world, hence making it seem to services like Hulu or Amazon Prime as if you actually logging on from within that country. For example, a subscription to a top-of-the-line VPN like ExpressVPN will allow you to watch Vikings on either service by connecting to one of their servers located in 20 United States locations.
VPNs also make your internet use much more secure, both on your computer and phone, by using data encryption to mask your browsing and file transfers from hackers and other bad actors. Most VPNs also come equipped with an automatic kill switch, which is a fail safe that cuts your internet connection if the VPN happens to drop out. All in all, the benefits of a VPN make it a worthwhile purchase for both people outside the US hoping to stream Vikings, and internet users, in general.
How to Purchase Hulu without a U.S. Credit Card
If you decide that Hulu is the right streaming service for you, there’s one more obstacle to overcome in the subscription process: it only takes U.S. credit and debit cards as forms of payment.
Live outside the US and don’t have one? Never fear, there’s an easy workaround: you can buy a $25 or $50 Hulu gift card from the Walmart website, and afterwards they email you a code that use as a payment option while subscribing to Hulu. A $50 gift card will cover six months of Hulu use, and don’t forget the 30-day free trial that covers your first month.
How to Stream Vikings from Outside the US with a VPN
- Subscribe to a well-regarded VPN with plenty of servers in the US and has an app that’s compatible with the devices you use to stream media.
- Download and install the VPN app on your device(s).
- Use your VPN app to connect to a server inside the United States.
- Go to the Hulu or Amazon Prime Video site and buy a subscription. If you go with Hulu, don’t forget to snag a gift card from Walmart.
- Install the Hulu or Amazon Prime Video app on the devices you use to stream video.
- Make sure that your VPN is connected to a US server, log on to Hulu or Amazon Prime and choose Vikings from the library of titles.
- While originally for use with computers only, VPNs are now compatible with just about everything: iOS, Android, leading digital streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire, web browsers, video game consoles, as well as certain TV makes, including LG TV and Samsung.
- The Hulu app is available for Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire tablets, Fire TV, IPhone, Ipad, Chrome, Firefox, Nintendo Switch, Playstation 3 & 4, Xbox 360 & One, Roku and certain models of LG Samsung TVs. Go here for the full list.
- Amazon Prime Video is available on a lot of digital media players, phones, tablets, consoles and and smart TVs, too. Click here to find out how to link your device(s).
The Top Five VPNs for Watching Vikings
- 2000 servers in nearly 150 cities around the world, including 20 U.S. server locations you can use to watch TV on Hulu or Amazon Prime Video
- 256-bit data encryption
- Easy-to-use app
- Doesn’t keep connection or activity logs
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Tailor made for streaming video through Hulu and Netflix
- 24-7 live chat customer support
- Works best for China
- Plans starting at $8.32 a month with a year-long subscription
2. Ivacy VPN
- Over 1000 Servers in 100+ countries, worldwide. 15 servers in the US.
- High-end 256-bit data encryption
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Advanced IPsec & IKEV protocols
- 5 simultaneous connections with one subscription
- Automatic internet kill switch
- Option to pay with Paypal, Alipay, Bitcoin and other non-card payment methods
- Just $2.25 a month if you pay for two years in advance
- 3000+ servers worldwide, including 541 in the United States
- 7 simultaneous connections
- Great, streamlined app with one-click connection
- 256-bit AES data encryption
- No bandwidth restrictions
- Automatic kill switch feature
- DNS and IP leak protection
- Plans start at $3.50 a month with the purchase of an 18 month subscription
- 2000+ servers in 140 countries, including 13 US locations
- High speeds perfect for HD video
- Five simultaneous connections
- Split tunneling feature
- No bandwidth or download limits
- Doesn’t keep activity logs
- 31-day money back guarantee
- $2.95 a month with the purchase of a one-year plan
- Over 5000 servers across 60+ countries. Nearly 2000 in the U.S. that you can connect to Amazon Prime Video or Hulu
- Six simultaneous device logins with a membership
- No activity logs
- 24/7 customer service
- Great security features: automatic kill Switch and end-to-end encryption
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Plans starting at $2.99