I hate to deliver bad news to good people, which I’m sure most of you March Madness fans are, but your chances of filling out a perfect bracket are lower than getting struck by a lightning twice and winning a lottery – all on the same day. Wallethub actually crunched the numbers – it’s 1 in 9.2 quintillions. But that won’t stop you since $10.1 billion is estimated to be wagered illegally this season anyway, twice as much as during the Super Bowl.
In the meantime, businesses report $6.3 billion in corporate losses during March Madness due to unproductive workers. It doesn’t help, perhaps, that twice as many family men are looking to get a vasectomy just in time for the NCAA tournament to get that guilt-free couch time to watch wall-to-wall basketball while recovering.
Where to stream March Madness online
The great news is you have plenty of opportunities to live-stream every single March Madness game and tip-off times for the entirety of the NCAA tournament. Below are just some of the most accessible ways:
- CBS, TBS, TruTV, and TNT are broadcasting all games, while March Madness Live is also live-streaming this nationwide obsession. You can find the complete live-stream and TV schedule for the 2022 season on the official NCAA website.
- The easiest way to live-stream it for a regular cable subscriber is via the official NCAA March Madness app (PC, Android, iOS, and Apple TV are supported).
- A Sling TV subscription gives you a mega-pass to TNT, TBS, and CBS all-in-one at $20 per month with a 7-day free trial.
- If you are an avid Kodi user, you should probably know you can use it to live-stream the tournament through a dedicated add-on.
- YouTube TV streams Turner’s sports programs, and comes with a free trial, too, while PlayStation users can take advantage of one of PlayStation Vue’s free trials.
Why use a VPN to stream March Madness
You do have plenty of March Madness streaming options, except for you can’t use any of them when you are outside the U.S. And sadly, using Kodi to stream sports could get you in trouble with authorities.
It doesn’t matter if you have a legitimate Sling TV subscription or are religiously paying your cable bills. The moment you set foot on foreign soil, your streaming providers lock you out of a very large chunk of your favorite content.
The problem is your physical location outweighs your citizenship or where you originally subscribed when it comes to sports streaming. Broadcasters and streamers only buy a license to stream March Madness in the U.S.
But don’t despair because a VPN solves your woes with a click of a button. A Virtual Private Network routes your Internet traffic through its servers and assigns you an Internet Protocol (IP) address based on the location of its servers. That way, if you connect to a US-based VPN server, you get a perfectly legitimate U.S. IP address, which unblocks your March Madness streaming. Voilá.
Besides streaming March Madness from outside the U.S., VPNs offer significant advantages:
- Security – a VPN encrypts all your traffic and protects it from opportunist hackers setting up honeypots and Man-in-the-Middle attacks.
- Privacy – a VPN encryption conceals the contents of your browsing activity from your nosy Internet Service Provider (ISP). You might want to consider switching to all-VPN traffic if you stream your sports via Kodi because both the U.S. and the EU are cracking down on Kodi users.
- Unrestricted Access – with the ability to swap IPs, you can access any geo-blocked content as well as bypass school, office or government-imposed firewalls. You can gain access to the U.S. repositories of iTunes, Steam, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Videos, and other services from outside the U.S. without missing out on your paid subscriptions when you travel abroad.
- Bypass ISP-imposed Bandwidth Throttling – heavy streamers know how aggravating it is to pay their monthly Internet bills only to get their bandwidth throttled by an ISP. A VPN helps you bypass that nuisance.
How to stream March Madness with a VPN
- Get a subscription to a VPN service – check the suggestions below for providers with an excellent coverage of the U.S.
- Install a VPN client on your device. Make sure you check platform compatibility of your VPN before you subscribe to a long-term plan. Fortunately, most providers now support a broad variety of operating systems, so you can find a great deal that covers all your devices, including game consoles and routers, and allows multiple simultaneous connections.
- Launch your VPN program and log in.
- Pick a streaming-optimized server in the U.S. and connect.
- Open a clean instance of your browser (clean means with DNS and cache deleted from the previous sessions).
- Go to your streaming provider’s website or launch an app – you should be able to live-stream March Madness now.
Supported devices for streaming
- You can stream the Austrian Bundesliga from pretty much any device – Windows PC, Mac, Android smartphones and tablets, as well as iPhones and iPads.
- You can also set up your Kodi to stream the Austrian Bundesliga with the help of the LaOla1 add-on.
Best VPNs for streaming March Madness
Caution: steer well clear of freeware VPNs that keep extensive logs of your browsing activities alongside your personally identifiable information (such as Hola and the likes of it). Most of these free VPNs share your data with third parties and authorities, so the trade-off is not worth it. If you are on a budget, you can make do with VPNs’ free trials and money-back guarantees to live through the month without breaking the bank.
Our top pick!
- Always evades internet control in the PRC
- Keeps ahead of the Netflix VPN detection algorithm
- Benchmark tests show excellent speed
- More US city locations than its rivals
- Includes malware protection
- No-logs policy
- No limit on the number of devices you can connect at the same time
- SOCKS5 proxy, which its main rivals don’t have
- More VPN servers in more US cities to dodge blackouts
- Golden Frog, the business behind VyprVPN also runs a gaming platform
- VyprVPN pioneered obfuscation techniques and they have always worked well
- VyprVPN’s no logs policy is confirmed by an independent audit