How to Watch The Mandalorian Online with a VPN
The Mandalorian is a Star Wars spin-off. The title refers to the inhabitants of the planet Mandalore; specifically, the show is about the exploits of one Mandalorian, called Din Djarin. Star Wars fans first encountered this nationality in The Empire Strikes Back in the character Boba Fett and now his compatriot, Djarin takes the limelight in the new Disney+ show.
Din Djarin is a bounty hunter and the theme of The Mandalorian is that of a space Western. The first season of The Mandalorian was part of the Disney+ launch line up in November 2019. A second season is already under production and will premier in October 2020.
Where to watch The Mandalorian
Disney hasn’t struck any deals to sell the broadcast rights to The Mandalorian, so it seems that the company intends to keep the series only available on Disney+. The Disney+ streaming service began operations broadcasting to US-based subscribers over the internet in November 2019. The service has gradually rolled out to other countries and is now also available in Australia, Austria, Canada, the Channel Islands, Germany, India, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
Although access requires a subscription payment and a user account, paying for the service is not the only requirement to be able to watch video at Disney+. The subscriber can’t get cross-border access but is able to watch the local video library when in a country where Disney+ is also available. That means that a Disney+ account holder in the USA, has to watch the service of Austria if he goes there. However, the Disney+ website is able to read the settings of each person’s browser and account, so the language that the site displays and the default playback language is adjusted according to those factors. That means an American watching in Austria will see the site and watch videos in English and not in German.
Those with a Disney+ subscription that go to a country where Disney+ is not offered will not be able to log into the website.
In many countries, the Disney+ service launched a lot later – the most recent batch went live in March 2020. In those countries, The Mandalorian is still being scheduled with weekly episodes. In the USA, the series has already run through the entire schedule and so can be watched on catchup as a boxed set. This is also the case with most Disney+ programming, which is just the US schedule, re-edited for local censorship requirements in each country.
Why use a VPN to watch The Mandalorian?
If you live in the USA but travel abroad, you are going to notice that, in those other countries that have the Disney+ service, the library of videos is not as long and many series don’t have all of the episodes that are available back home. For those who subscribe in other countries, getting access to the US version is much better. You don’t have to wait each week for the next episode of the Mandalorian because you can watch all eight episodes in a row.
No matter which country you signed up in, if you go to a country that doesn’t have the service, you won’t be able to watch and your subscription will still be ticking down even though you aren’t able to benefit from it.
A VPN makes it seem that you are part of a remote network. All internet access passes through the gateway of that network. Most VPN services give customers a choice of network location. So, when you choose a VPN server in the USA, all websites and internet services will treat your requests as though you are in the USA.
Therefore, by using a VPN and connecting to a US server, that American traveler in Austria will be able to access the video library available back home and not the smaller, Austrian version. VPNs are easy to use and it is possible to switch from one server to another with just the click of a button. This gives each VPN user a world of options when it comes to watching entertainment online.
How to stream The Mandalorian from outside the US with a VPN
- Subscribe to a VPN provider with US servers (such as ExpressVPN)
- Sign up for the Disney+ service – you can get a 7-day free trial
- Download and install the VPN app onto your devices
- Connect to a server in the USA
- Open the Disney+ site in your browser and sign in
- Browse the Originals section of the Disney+ library to find The Mandalorian
- Click on an episode and watch the video
When you sign up for Disney+, you have the option of paying with your bank card, Paypal, or with a gift voucher. It is better to pay with your bank card because international accessibility is automatically included with that payment method. Americans paying with Paypal or a gift voucher have to contact customer support when traveling in order to get the account active in other countries. That process can take 10 days before international access is allowed.
VPNs for The Mandalorian
There are lots of VPNs available. However, they all charge by subscription and you have to pay upfront. You get a better deal with longer subscription cycles. However, if you sign up for a VPN and then find out that it doesn’t work with Disney+, you’ve wasted your money.
It is very likely that you will pick a VPN that doesn’t work with Disney+. This is because the streaming service doesn’t only check the origin of each request for a video, it also scans for VPNs and blocks them. There are very few VPNs that can actually fool the detection system of Disney+.
You will find that there are free VPNs. However, those are completely useless and are not capable of bypassing the location restrictions of Disney+. This is why we have put together a list of the five best VPNs for Disney+.
Our recommended VPNs for The Mandalorian
- More than 3000 servers in 94 countries
- Gets into HBO Go, Sky Go, Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video
- No data limits
- Gets past VPN detection systems
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- An allowance of three simultaneous connections
- Good speeds for video streaming
- $8.32 a month with the one-year subscription plan
- More than 1040 located in 61 countries
- Gets past regional restrictions on streaming services
- No data caps
- Ad and malware blockers for included for free
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No limit to simultaneous connections
- Fast speeds
- Only $1.77 per month plus 3 extra months free on the two-year plan.
- More than 5600 servers in 58 countries
- Six simultaneous connections per account
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, Sky Go, HBO Go, ITV, and ABC
- No bandwidth or download restrictions
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7 customer support
- SmartPlay feature improves video transfer speed
- Only $2.99 a month with the purchase of a 3-year plan
- More than 5600 servers in 90 countries
- An allowance of seven simultaneous connections
- No data throughput limit
- Dodges detection at HBO Now, Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+
- Evades national internet censorship
- 45-day money-back guarantee on annual plans
- Good speeds for streaming
- $2.75 per month with the 3-year subscription plan
- More than 1300 servers located in 53 countries
- Allowance of 10 simultaneous connections
- Strong security measures
- No data throughput limits
- Evades detection at all major streaming services
- 7-day money-back guarantee
- Very fast speeds
- Priced at $6.49 per month on the one-year plan.