Game of Thrones is a medieval fantasy epic on HBO based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling novel series “A Song of Ice and Fire.” In 2016, the show created history by winning 12 Primetime Emmy Awards, making it the most popular TV show of all time.
With a massive viewership of over 25 million viewers and with various streaming services available to viewers, it’s important to know how you can stream your choice of episodes from anywhere in the world.
Why use a VPN to stream Game of Thrones
The official online streaming service of Game of Thrones is provided by HBO Now, which is only available in the US. As such, whenever you try to stream content from the HBO Now service from anywhere else, the app recognizes your physical location through your IP address and prevents you from streaming it, even if you have a paid subscription to the service.
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) create a private tunnel to the Internet, which prohibits third parties from accessing your data and discovering your identity. They can evade any location-based restrictions by changing your current IP address to an IP address from an allowed country, which in this case, is the United States.
VPNs offer a great solution to stream geo-locked content from anywhere in the world, which means you can stream Game of Thrones from anywhere in the world, provided you have an Internet connection.
How to watch Game of Thrones online
If you’re in the United States, you can easily watch Game of Thrones by using HBO’s signature online streaming service, HBO Now. It offers complete access to all previous seasons of Game of Thrones, with multi-platform support for Android, iOS, and Windows users.
For non-US viewers, HBO Now is geo-locked and prevents any content from being streamed directly.
This means you may have to find a specific streaming partner for Game of Thrones in your country (HotStar in India, FoxTel in Australia, and OCS in Europe). This can prove to be quite challenging since the Game of Thrones streaming service is not consistently available around the world.
Another way to stream Game of Thrones outside the US is by using a VPN service, which can easily bypass a geo-block by masking your IP address with a click of a button.
How to use a VPN to watch Game of Thrones
To begin streaming your favorite Game of Thrones episodes, you’ll need to follow a few simple steps, which are outlined below:
- Sign up for a VPN
- Install the VPN client on your device
- Log in to your account
- Choose any server from the US
- Click on Connect
- Open your HBO Now account
- Select the episode of your choice
- Begin streaming
How to select the best VPN to stream Game of Thrones
Using a VPN to seamlessly stream your favorite Game of Thrones episode is easy. Unfortunately, however, there are a lot of VPNs available, and they aren’t all created equal. When evaluating your options, keep the following in mind:
- Bandwidth – VPN’s with bandwidth limitations are a deal breaker. Look for a VPN that has no restrictions on the monthly usage of bandwidth to ensure high-quality viewing.
- Compatibility – Compatibility is important, especially if you use a variety of devices for streaming online videos. If you do, it’s important that your VPN support all the devices that you regularly use.
- Speed – Long buffering times and delays can ruin your viewing experience. As such, you’ll want to select a VPN that offers fast speeds to ensure interruption-free viewing with minimal buffering.
- Servers – The VPN you select should have a wide-range of servers located in different regions of the world, including the United States.
- A No Logs Policy – One of the primary reasons people use a VPN is to ensure the anonymity of activity online. A VPN that records your Internet activity defeats this purpose all together.
Our top recommended VPN for watching Game of Thrones
Our top pick!
- Always evades internet control in the PRC
- Keeps ahead of the Netflix VPN detection algorithm
- Benchmark tests show excellent speed
ExpressVPN is our top pick for streaming Game of Thrones. It’s easy to set up, secure, and provides great connection speeds. Plus, the user-friendly interface streamlines the entire process of setting up a new VPN account and configuring it to access geo-locked streaming services.
ExpressVPN has a significant number of advantages over other VPN services providers since it offers multi-platform support for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac; you can use it on 3 devices simultaneously; a VPN-enabled router is not required; there’s end-to-end encryption of your Internet traffic, which provides comprehensive security against hackers and data-sniffing applications; it comes with a 30-day, money-back guarantee; and there are no limitations on bandwidth and peer-to-peer downloads.
Other VPNs to consider
Apart from ExpressVPN, other VPNs worth mentioning include CactusVPN, CyberGhost, and PureVPN. These VPNs provide a vast global server network and full-scale anonymity through third-party DNS servers. In addition, these are also compatible across different device operating systems.
- 24-hours free trial
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No logs and no bandwidth caps
- Precise locations
- Very large VPN server network
- Offers a 45-day money-back guarantee
- Excellent client with pre-configured modes for streaming, P2P, privacy
- Kill switch
- Support for wide range of protocols, including OpenVPN