How to Watch Schitt’s Creek with a VPN
Schitt's Creek has just completed its sixth and final season. The successful Canadian comedy first aired in January 2015 on CBC. It was created by Eugene and Dan Levy, the father and son team that also starred as two of the show’s four main characters. The first four seasons ran to 13 episodes each, while seasons five and six each extended to 14 episodes. That means there are 79 individual Schitt’s Creek videos out there to stream online. You just have to find them.
The plot of Schitt’s Creek follows a bankrupt former-millionaire family as they try to rebuild their fortunes with their only remaining asset, a backwater settlement in the middle of nowhere. The family’s pretentious expectations are excellently amplified by award-winning actress Catherine O’Hara, who camps it up as the artsy former actress. Moira Rose struggles to cope with the realities of life without a cushion of money.
Although the wealthy Rose family are hilariously out of touch, their contacts and experience generally help them to struggle through. The comedy’s scripts exploit the cultural isolation of the family, while also sometimes letting them triumph when they find a way to keep their heads above water.
Watch Schitt’s Creek online
Canada’s state-owned broadcaster, CBC has stuck with Schitt’s Creek from its inception all the way through to its final season. That has given the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation a rich archive of Schitt’s Creek episodes. All of the Schitt’s Creek videos can be accessed on the CBC website by any member of the public as long as they are in Canada.
US network Pop TV owns the first broadcast rights in the USA. This small TV network was bought up by CBS Viacom and is now available to more than 67 million households in the USA through cable TV networks. Schitt’s Creek is the channel’s headlining program and has won Pop TV awards in the industry. All six seasons are available for online viewing at the Pop TV website.
Most cable TV channels make visitors to their websites enter proof of their qualifying cable subscriptions before allowing access to videos on their sites. Pop TV does this with the episodes of the sixth season of Schitt’s Creek but places no requirements on access to the episodes of the previous five seasons. However, there is one access block: only people who are physically located in the USA can watch. In fact, the entire Pop TV website will not load in browsers that are detected to be outside the United States.
Where else to watch Schitt’s Creek
The annoying cable TV login requirement to watch the latest series through Pop TV can be bypassed. The TV station also channels Schitt’s Creek through its Roku service, which is called PopNow. This route does not include the cable TV access block. All Schitt’s Creek seasons are available on Hulu and they can also be accessed on YouTube TV and fubo TV, which are subscription streaming services that are only available in the USA. Amazon and iTunes sell access to episodes as streaming video packages.
Netflix has seasons one to five available on its US service. These seasons are also available from Netflix in the UK, Ireland, Australia, South Africa, and Japan.
So, if you want to watch the latest season of Schitt’s Creek without paying and you are in Canada, go to the CBC website; if you are in the USA, access PopNow on Roku. If you are outside of those countries you will have a problem. Even if you are a Canadian citizen, you can’t get access to any video streams on the CBC website if you are outside of Canada at the time. Similarly, Pop TV won’t give you access even through Roku if you are not in the United States.
Fortunately, there is a way that you can seem to be in Canada or the United States no matter where you really are in the world. This is possible because if a system called a “virtual private network,” or VPN. A VPN is a form of “proxy,” which means that it acts on behalf of other computers. When a user connects to a VPN service all internet traffic channels through the VPN, arriving at the target web server with the VPN server’s IP address on it as the point of origin. Video streaming servers check the physical location associated with each IP address and that’s how they know who to block.
All VPN subscription services have several servers in different countries around the world. The user has an app, which is called a client and that establishes a connection to the selected VPN server. So, in order to get access to Schitt’s Creek on the CBC website, you just have to select a server in Canada when firing up the VPN. To get PopNow on Roku to give you access, select a VPN server in the USA.
How to stream Schitt’s Creek outside Canada and the United States with a VPN
The easiest way to watch Schitt’s Creek for free from anywhere in the world is through the CBC website. Here’s how to do it.
- Subscribe to a VPN provider with Canadian servers (check out ExpressVPN)
- Download and install the VPN client onto your devices
- Open the VPN client
- Connect to a server in Canada and start the VPN
- Go to the CBC website in your browser and look for the Schitt’s Creek page
- Select a season and click on an episode
- Watch the video
VPNs are very easy to use. There are many available but very few are any good. We have created a list of the best VPNs for access to Schitt’s Creek so you don’t waste time and money with services that don’t work.
Our recommended VPNs for Schitt's Creek
- More than 3000 servers in 94 countries
- Gets into HBO Go, Sky Go, Netflix, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video
- No data limits
- Gets past VPN detection systems
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- An allowance of three simultaneous connections
- Good speeds for video streaming
- $8.32 a month with the one-year subscription plan
- More than 1040 located in 61 countries
- Gets past regional restrictions on streaming services
- No data caps
- Ad and malware blockers for included for free
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No limit to simultaneous connections
- Fast speeds
- Only $1.77 per month plus 3 extra months free on the two-year plan.
- More than 5600 servers in 58 countries
- Six simultaneous connections per account
- Unblocks Netflix, Hulu, Sky Go, HBO Go, ITV, and ABC
- No bandwidth or download restrictions
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 24/7 customer support
- SmartPlay feature improves video transfer speed
- Only $2.99 a month with the purchase of a 3-year plan
- More than 5600 servers in 90 countries
- An allowance of seven simultaneous connections
- No data throughput limit
- Dodges detection at HBO Now, Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+
- Evades national internet censorship
- 45-day money-back guarantee on annual plans
- Good speeds for streaming
- $2.75 per month with the 3-year subscription plan
- More than 1300 servers located in 53 countries
- Allowance of 10 simultaneous connections
- Strong security measures
- No data throughput limits
- Evades detection at all major streaming services
- 7-day money-back guarantee
- Very fast speeds
- Priced at $6.49 per month on the one-year plan.