Best VPNs for PS4 (2024)
- Always evades internet control in the PRC
- Keeps ahead of the Netflix VPN detection algorithm
- Benchmark tests show excellent speed
- Smart DNS service, understands the technology
- Comprehensive security add-on package.
- No data throughput limits and has a no-logs policy
- More US city locations than its rivals
- Includes malware protection
- No-logs policy
PS4 is still one of the most popular video game consoles available. It offers users access to PS4-specific games on top of allowing users to download older games and streaming services from the PlayStation store while also letting users play games online.
However, having internet access impacts gamers’ privacy and security at the same time impacting their gameplay, unlike offline games. What can users do to have a better gaming experience and safely stream content while connected to the internet?
Why a VPN is needed for PS4
Many online Playstation 4 games require fast internet speeds in order to prevent lag in gameplay while playing online. However, ISPs or Internet service providers have begun throttling users’ internet because of the amount of bandwidth that online gaming requires. This causes players to lose competitive online games and even prevents access to games that require lightning-fast internet speeds.
Certain game servers only allow players from certain countries and block people located outside that country. Additionally, PS4 allows users to access streaming services such as Netflix, but a lot of the content available on streaming services is restricted due to each country’s individual copyright laws.
Lack of privacy
An IP address shows a person’s geographic location while they are online, but this can be used to do more sophisticated cyber attacks. Users can use other users’ IP addresses to track them across other servers and continue to harass them. Additionally, hackers can also use it as a starting point to set up complicated phishing attacks to uncover more of users’ personal information.
What to look for in a VPN for PS4
Compatibility with many devices
A PlayStation VPN should be easily installed onto a wi-fi router to ensure that every device on the network can access the VPN. In addition, a VPN should be able to be installed on a windows PC or Mac and then be used to set up a virtual router so that users can access the VPN router using a hotspot. Finally, users should be able to set up a Smart DNS or DNS settings feature in order to install the VPN directly onto their PlayStation.
Lightning-quick internet speeds
Gamers should always consider the VPN’s connection speed to ensure that their gaming experience isn’t affected in any way. All additional security features shouldn’t cause any lag in gameplay and allow for multiple gaming consoles to be used simultaneously. In addition, a VPN should prevent Internet providers from slowing users’ internet speed when they are playing online games.
Allows for streaming
PlayStation can access many different streaming platforms that aren’t available in their country or different third-party streaming services using a VPN. A PS4 or PS5 VPN should also have a lot of VPN servers in many countries so that users have access to streaming content from all over the world.
VPNs and PS4
Unfortunately, a VPN app for PS4 is not able to be directly downloaded onto your Playstation console because Sony blocked VPNs from being downloaded on the Playstation Store. There are ways around this though that require a little more effort, it is risky to play PlayStation and stream copyrighted material without a VPN.
A PS4 VPN or PS5 VPN is essential to remain anonymous while playing games online because it prevents other users from knowing a player’s real IP address. This is a useful preventative measure to stop users from implementing DDoS attacks which overwhelm a user’s network so they cannot access the internet. Vengeful users might also be able to find someone’s real-life address using their IP address to do something more dangerous like swatting.
Recommended VPNs for PS4
The best VPN providers help users get around geo-restrictions while also masking users’ real IP addresses from other gamers. There are free VPNs that use open-source VPN codes like OpenVPN or Wireguard, but these services pale in comparison to paid VPN services offerings like:
- Covers almost all operating systems like Windows and Mac for users to set up a virtual router on devices like smart TVs or routers to allow all other gaming consoles like Nintendo Switch, Xbox, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, and other PlayStation consoles access to the VPN.
- Having fast speeds while maintaining all additional levels of security and preventing Internet providers from limiting users’ internet speed
- Providing a 30-day money-back guarantee or more risk-free trial and special discounts during certain times of the year like Black Friday
- Offering responsive customer support with tutorials on how to install a VPN and frequently having firmware updates for routers
The best VPNs for PS4 require additional security features to prevent DDoS attacks, fast VPN connection speeds while preventing Internet companies user’s from capping internet bandwidth, where the VPN provider’s headquarters are located, and how many servers in their server network for unblocking content from around the world, the number of simultaneous connections if multiple gaming consoles are accessing the VPN at the same time, and the VPN’s monthly fee.
ExpressVPN is from the British Virgin Islands and has over 3,000 servers in more than 94 countries. Many VPN reviewers consider ExpressVPN the fastest VPN because of how well it works at preventing ISPs from throttling. ExpressVPN offers safety features such as private DNS, threat manager, and AES-256 encryption.
Its cheapest plan is $6.66 per month for 15 months, and it only allows 5 devices to use it at a time.
- Installs on routers
- Simultaneous connection allowance of five devices
- Split tunneling
- Large choice of server location
- Very strong connection encryption
- One of the most expensive VPN services
- China blocks its main website (but not functionality)
- Live chat support is not always responsive
Surfshark is located in the Netherlands and provides more than 3,200 servers located in 65 countries. This provider allows for unlimited concurrent connections, which is useful if games are played on many different game consoles. It also maintains similar connection speeds to ExpressVPN, but some of its servers are slower than others.
Surfshark’s cheapest plan is two years for $2.49 a month.
- A long list of locations in the USA
- Dodges the Great Firewall of China
- Virtual servers to access India
- Add-on cybersecurity protection package
- Smart DNS option for fast streaming
- Unlimited devices can be connected simultaneously per account
- 7-day free trial only available on mobile apps
- Not as many VPN servers as NordVPN
- Runs static IP servers but doesn’t sell dedicated IP addresses
- Can’t get into BBC iPlayer or Hulu
NordVPN is located in Panama and maintains more than 5,200 servers in over 59 countries. In addition, NordVPN offers plenty of additional security features like double VPN and Onion for improving data encryption. The additional layers of encryption provided by NordVPN might cause lags in gameplay so make sure to have fast internet.
The cheapest plan for NordVPN is two years for $3.29 a month, allowing 6 devices to be used concurrently.
- A large number of servers
- Threat protection with a proprietary security system called CyberSec
- Split tunneling
- Obfuscated servers for China and other locations where VPNs are discouraged
- No-logs policy
- Automatic wi-fi protection
- Parts of the server network have poor download speeds
- No servers in India
- Onion over VPN can be slow
Cyberghost is headquartered in Bucharest, Romania, and offers 7,600 servers in over 90 countries. There are also some security add-ons such as a password manager, warnings when a data breach impacts users’ email, and other protections for windows users like protection against viruses, malware, privacy intrusions from Microsoft, etc. Cyberghost offers the longest money-back guarantee at 45 days.
Its cheapest plan is two years for $2.37 per month and allows for seven simultaneous connections.
- The cool VPN app design
- A larger number of servers than most of its rivals
- Split tunneling options
- Proprietary nospy server technology that can avoid detection in places like China
- A strict no-logs policy
- A 45-day money-back guarantee
- Some server locations are spoofed – the CyberGhost servers aren’t really where they say they are
- The VPN has to be manually set up on routers
- Not as fast as advertised
5. Mullvad VPN
Mullvand VPN is headquartered in Sweden and offers 895 servers in 39 countries. It is ranked as the best torrenting VPN because of its use of AES-256 encryption and quick download speeds. Mullvad’s slogan is “Privacy is a Universal Right,” so users can be sure that their data is safe.
Mullvad’s monthly payments are the same for all plans (5 Euros), and they can be used on up to five devices at the same time.
- Three-hour free trial
- No registration, even for paid members
- Accepts anonymous payments
- No logs
- Solid security and doesn’t leak DNS
- Simple UI, cross-platform client
- Unblocks Steam US libraries
- Allows P2P and up to five simultaneous connections
- No native mobile apps
- Didn’t unblock Netflix or BBC iPlayer in my tests
ProtonVPN has its headquarters in Switzerland and offers more than 1800 servers in over 65 countries. In addition, ProtonVPN offers a free email service alongside a free VPN service with limited data and bandwidth which has three server locations. Its paid plan’s speed tests were similar to other paid VPNs’ speed, but the free VPN’s speed was significantly slower, especially when playing games or streaming content online.
Besides the free plan, the lowest cost plan is two years for $4.99 a month and can be used on ten devices simultaneously.
- The free plan is great
- Simultaneous connection allowance of ten devices
- Bundle plans offer secure file storage, email and calendar as well
- Private mini-Tor
- Connects to Tor network
- App for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Manjaro, and Arch Linux
- Connection profiles and threat models are complicated
- The free version only gets three server locations
- No browser extensions
7. Private Internet Access (PIA)
PIA is a VPN provider headquartered in Iceland and the USA with over 3300 servers in over 80 countries. One of the few drawbacks is that it performs poorly on speed tests if users don’t set up an OpenVPN, but its website offers a step-by-step guide on how to set one up. In addition to their VPN, they offer other protection, such as malware and ad blockers, alongside other antivirus security.
Its least expensive plan is $3.33 a month, allowing ten simultaneous connections.
- PIA is one of the few VPNs to have a server in China
- Security features include malware, tracker, and ad blocker
- Good choice of dedicated IP address locations
- Antivirus add-on
- A strong no logs policy
- Easy to use VPN app functionality
- Can’t get into Amazon Prime or Hulu
- Doesn’t state how many servers it operates
Hide.me is located in Malaysia with 2000 servers in 47 countries. Hide.me has a great free VPN service that is free of ads and provides 10GB of data monthly with five server locations. The free VPN does not cap your bandwidth which is great for surfing the internet, but a paid plan is necessary for users who frequently download games, play games online, or stream content.
Its cheapest option is $3.84 per month for 24 months and can be used on ten devices simultaneously.
- Lifetime free plan available
- Port forwarding available
- Certified zero logs
- Independent from any government interference
- Supports modern security protocols
- Outstanding speeds
- Applications for mobile devices available
- 24/7 customer support
- Complexity in setting up simultaneous connections
- Number of servers may not sufficiently handle heavy traffic
How to set up a VPN for PS4
The simplest way to install a VPN for PS4 is to install a VPN directly onto your router. Each router requires a different method of installation, but the basic directions are as follows:
- Open the browser that is connected to the router’s network.
- Enter your router’s username and password.
- Choose “Advanced,” “Advanced setup,” or a similarly named section and find and enable the VPN option there.
VPN providers like NordVPN, ExpressVPN, Surfshark, etc., offer instructions on how to install a VPN on their websites on many different brands of routers.
Another way to install a VPN directly onto your Playstation is by obtaining a Smart DNS from your VPN provider.
Here are the directions on how to install a Smart DNS onto your PS4
- On your PlayStation console’s home screen and click on the ‘Settings’ menu
- Select ‘Network’
- Find ‘Set Up Internet Connection’ and then choose the internet that your PlayStation uses
- Click ‘Custom’
- Set ‘IP Address” to “Auto”
- Change ‘DCHP Host’ to ‘Do Not Specify’
- Find ‘DNS,’ change it to ‘Manual,’ and then enter the Smart DNS address that you received from your VPN provider
- Change ‘MUT Settings’ to ‘Auto’
- Set ‘Proxy Server’ to ‘Do Not Use’
- ‘Test Internet Connection’ to check if your Smart DNS is working
Here’s how you connect your Playstation to your PC
- Set up your VPN on your PC
- Connect an ethernet cable from your PC into your PlayStation
- On your Control Panel, click ‘Network and Internet,’ and then ‘Network and Sharing Center’
- Select ‘Change Adapter Settings’ on the left of the screen
- Your VPN connection should appear. Right-click it and click ‘Properties’
- On the ‘Sharing’ tab, check the ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection’ box
- On ‘Home Networking Connection’ dropdown menu, click on your internet connection and:
- For PS4: click on ‘Settings,’ then ‘Network Settings,’ then ‘Set Up Internet Connection,’ then ‘Use a LAN cable’ and select the ‘Easy’ connection method
- For PS5: click on ‘Settings,’ then ‘Network,’ then ‘Set Up Internet Connection’, which will automatically scan and find the ethernet connection
- Choose ‘Do Not Use Proxy Server’ when you see the prompt
Here’s how you connect your Playstation to your Mac
- Install your VPN and check that it’s running
- Connect an ethernet cable from your Mac to your PlayStation
- Select ‘System Preferences’ then ‘Sharing’ and choose ‘Internet Sharing’ from the list on the left
- On the ‘Share Your Connection From’ dropdown menu, click on ‘Wi-Fi’
- Next, click on ‘Ethernet’ on the ‘To computers using’ dropdown option
- Check the box next to ‘Internet Sharing,’ and a green icon will appear to indicate that the connection can be shared across devices
- For PS4: click on ‘Settings,’ ‘Network Settings,’ ‘Set Up Internet Connection,’ then ‘Use a LAN cable’ and select the ‘Easy’ connection method
- For PS5: click on ‘Settings,’ then ‘Network,’ then ‘Set Up Internet Connection,’ which will automatically scan and find the ethernet connection
- Choose ‘Do Not Use Proxy Server’ when you see the prompt.
A VPN for PlayStation is pivotal for protecting your privacy online, staying secure, and maintaining stable internet speeds while playing games online. It requires a little more work to install a VPN onto your PlayStation, but the benefits far outweigh the effort. With a VPN, your online PlayStation gaming experience will never be impacted in any way.
Can you put a VPN on PS4?
There is no VPN app for PS4 because Sony doesn’t allow users to download VPNs from the PlayStation store. However, there are workarounds for installing a VPN on your PlayStation, like installing a VPN onto a router, setting up a smart DNS, or using your PC or Mac to set up a virtual router.
Why do I need a VPN for PS4?
It is important to use VPNs while playing PS4 because they prevent internet companies from limiting your internet speed, allow you access to more streaming content and games on your PS4, and keep your identity private and personal data secure while playing games online.
What are some of the characteristics of the best VPNs for PS4?
The best VPNs for PlayStation should be compatible with many devices, especially routers, provide privacy and security while maintaining fast internet, and are functional on all available streaming platforms.
Can I use a free VPN for PS4?
There are free VPNs for PS4, but they don’t work well for playing games online or streaming content. In addition, they have limits for data usage and lack the privacy that paid VPNs offer.